Monday, May 2, 2016

Some views on the Philippine Election 2016



If I claim to be incorruptible and if someone says that I have huge amount of money in a specific bank, I will stand by my claim. I will not simply dismiss the accusation and say that the account is non-existent, but I will show that it is indeed non-existent. I will not approximate its amount, because it is my money, so I know how much it is and where it comes from. I will not call a lawyer because I know my rights. It will not take me few days just to show how incorruptible I am. It will take only few minutes to clear my name on this issue. If I am unable to do this, believe me, I am not what I claim to be. I am not who I say I am.


As a Bicolano, I take offense at this generalizing remark from a man who barely has an idea who we are as a people (not a race). Yes, we are honorable. That's why we are known to pursue vigorously what we believe in against all odds and popular sentiments. We stand by our words, and not take them back whimsically. Now, Mayor you will see what honorable truly means with or against a Bicolano. Yan an oragon! (Actually, you sought the legal help of another Bicolano to face against a fellow Bicolano on Monday, May 2 because probably you seem to be not honorable enough to man up your words when you yourself is a lawyer.) 


Just asking. How do you envision his presidency? Based on his words: He will kill those involved in drugs and crimes in a bloody war. That means a lot of violence. He will return to manual system of governmental transactions. That means backlogs, inefficiencies and susceptibility to corruption. He will abolish Congress if threatened impeachment. That means he will concentrate executive and legislative powers into his hands. He will establish a revolutionary government. That means he has more powers and less accountability, if any. He will sever ties to countries that say something against him. That means Philippines is likely to be isolated in international arena. Indeed, this is change. Do you envision it differently? 



Mayor, I understand if you want to make it difficult for Sen. Trillanes. But the issue is not only between you and Sen. Trillanes. You aspire to be my president. I want my president to be transparent, decisive and inspiring. I still believe you are. So please, do not disappoint me on Monday, May 2. I want to know and I deserve to know what you had, and currently have in your BPI bank accounts. Please. I believe that history is on our side. But I don't want to be on the wrong side. On May 2, Monday, I want to see you speak the truth, not your lawyer, because my president is transparent, decisive and inspiring. Thank you, Mayor. Do not let me down! I am waiting for my president to come out clean on this issue!


What kind of change are we expecting from a man who uses old tactics to keep his unexplained wealth away from the public that he vows to serve? Still more days to reflect on a candidate who vows to stop corruption, but refuses to be transparent. How can we who hate corruption help him stop corruption if he himself is not leading a clean and good example. Let us remember that one of the things that makes us love him is when he declares: "hindi ko pakikialaman ang pera nyo." We cheered! Few more days... few more day... let us see whether he is the man we used to know, whether he is the man we want to lead our country.


A specific amount in a particular bank branch with certain dates!!! It must be a joke! And I laughed when I read Sen. Cayetano's statement which is very similar to the statements of the spokesperson and lawyers of Binay during the Senate's investigation of Binay's alleged ill-gotten wealth. 


"It is possible for a Filipino to be separated from the Philippines, but not the Philippines from a Filipino." As an OFW, I hear you Poe!


Finally, after two emails and a phone call to the embassy, I can now exercise suffrage (right to vote). I am still undecided; that's why I truly need this 3rd Presidential Debate to help me discern who deserves my sacred vote. So far, I am down to two candidates who, in the past debates, showed their grasp of what's going on by citing statistics and data on sectoral issues. To me, if a candidate does not know what's going on, s/he can't make a sound decision for the national interest. If s/he does not know what's going on, her/his decisions may be to satisfy one's ego or driven by impulsive whims or capricious humor. So far, it's between Poe and Roxas for my sacred vote. After this debate, I will break down my decision why I will vote for either Poe or Roxas.

No comments:

Post a Comment