Thursday, May 5, 2016

POE is my president (1)

When I voted yesterday at the embassy, the last position that I filled in was president. Eventually, I wrote POE.

What made me pause to write POE on the ballot for President was the presence of pressing issues hounding her candidacy. I would tell you how I was able to settle those issues.

1) Her loyalty and her being a Filipino are being questioned for renouncing her Filipino citizenship to become a US citizen. Their question is valid. However, the main reason why she became US citizen was due to her family. How could anyone be more Filipino than doing anything for one's family? Loyalty to one's country is not measured by simply staying in the country and being Filipino on paper. As an example, OFWs who have been separated from the Philippines, I observe, are the most passionate about the country. Their identification with their country becomes more pronounced because of the disconnect of their foreign surrounding with their identity. I personally experienced this in the past 8 years where I lived abroad for studies and now for work. I would say, the patriotic fervor of OFWs and people who experienced being away from their homeland is further amplified. Because of their exposure to foreign cultures, they even become more optimistic and hopeful of their country's future. Having lived abroad, POE has returned to her homeland with greater patriotic zeal offering her service to Filipinos. Besides, the Supreme Court decided in her favor regarding her being a natural-born Filipino because of R.A. 9225 or Citizenship Retention and Re-acquisition Act of 2003.

2) Her inexperience in public service is underscored. For me, this means that she is an outsider of a broken and malfunctioning political system that we have. New and innovative ideas are what she brings to her leadership, rather than old and traditional ways and means of seasoned politicians.

3) Her alleged connection with Danding Cojuangco because of NPC's endorsement and use of SMC's helicopter for a discounted price (not free) is a mole in the face of her campaign. For me, this is an overblown, overhyped, over-extended and hypocritical issue. I recall that all presidential candidates wooed NPC's support. When POE got it, then some people made an issue out of it. On the use of SMC's helicopter, SMC itself issued a statement saying that there are also candidates who use its helicopters. Her husband working in SMC is a non-issue for me. There are news reports saying that she defended Danding about coco levy fund. She did not defend Danding on coco levy fund. What she said what that Danding has no more control of the fund because it is now with the government. If it sounds in defense of Danding, I do not see it that way.

These are some major issues that I considered and settled in voting for POE as president.

The next post will be an enumeration of strong points why POE is my president.

No comments:

Post a Comment